Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Gifts





I have a very insightful friend who understands how our education system can lose sight of what is really most important. She knows that we all learn differently, and are gifted in unique ways. 

Unfortunately for those square peg kids who don’t quite fit in that round hole world, school can be a daily struggle. I tried my best as a teacher to accommodate individual differences as much as possible. 

I’ve found it interesting, though, that we don’t expect all kids to be gifted artists, musicians or athletes. However, when it comes to academics we expect all kids to excel in these areas.

Interestingly when your gift happens to be academics often times you don’t value it because “everyone” is supposed to be able to do it.

I always enjoyed writing, but never really considered it a talent or gift. Over the years as I was required to teach “writing” to younger and younger children it saddened me that some children disliked it so. 

Although, I was not ever an athlete, or a gifted artist or a natural songbird,I was a good student. I actually enjoyed studying for tests, and most of the time didn’t mind doing homework. 

In fact when I was in third grade one of my favorite things to do was write extra credit reports straight out of my Britannica Jr.  Little did I know that plagiarism was a real thing. What I did know was learning about exotic things like kelp and sweet potatoes was fun. 

I always felt sad that I did not have an actual talent- you know the kind you did for a Miss America pageant. I knew that pageants would never be in my future without some amazing talent act. 

As I continued through school I never really considered my intellect to be a real talent. Everyone was expected to read, write, and to do arithmetic. It mustn’t have been anything too special if everyone was required to do so. 

Meanwhile, I sat back envious of my friends who sang like a songbird or drew like Leonardo. Even my drill team friends who choreographed dances were all pretty amazing to me. 

I remember when the school I taught at started hosting College Week. Although, in principle it probably sounds good to encourage children to go to college. However, is encouraging ALL children to attend really such a good idea?

I know of students who incurred high college debt, but never actually received the degree. I’m hoping that schools today encourage students to follow paths that better suit their own gifts. 

My nephew recently shared a Career and Technology Center that his engineering firm had just completed. My sister had worked at one of these fine facilities in her community. To me this is the direction of the future. 

College really isn’t for everyone and that is okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment