Monday, March 8, 2021

Heuristics




I’m excited to do a little series this week on something called heuristics. The word may be unfamiliar to you, but you will immediately recognize it in your own life.

 

Heuristics according to Wray Herbert, author of On Second Thought, are “cognitive rules of thumb, hard-wired as shortcuts that everyone uses every day in routine decision making and judgement.”

They are a way of helping us not to overthink the myriad of decisions that we make in a day. Unfortunately though, they are not perfect, and sometimes are irrational. 

I’ll be covering four of these heuristics this week, and would love to get your input on how they may play a part in your life. 

I’m totally fascinated by what people, including myself, think and do. Not to get me off the hook for bad behavior, but learning a little more about heuristics has helped me to better understand some of the decisions I’ve made in my life. 

If you are interested in learning more about this, as I’ve only scratched the surface you can find more information online. 


No comments:

Post a Comment