Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Wide Open Spaces





This year for Christmas my grandsons received bicycles from their Gigi and Pop. A few days ago my oldest grandson decided it was time for the training wheels to come off. 

Within a matter of minutes he was balancing quite nicely, and riding around the driveway. Brittany was quite impressed because her bike riding experience twenty-five years before had not been quite so effortless, and she had the scabs to prove it. 

While I was watching the boys yesterday I got a chance to see my grandson in action. He seemed so grown-up as he pedaled down the driveway. How had five years flown by so quickly, and wasn’t this boy learning to walk just yesterday?

And now here he was taking that first step toward independence. Driving away in his first pick-up truck will be here before we know it. Please time slow down. 

At one point I looked up and noticed that he had fallen. My first instinct was to jump up, rush to him to check to see if he was okay. I made myself stay put, and watched him pick up both himself and his bike. 

He yelled out, “I got it.” Then he pedaled back down the driveway closer to me , and said, “When you fall off, you get right back up.”

Yes, that’s exactly how it works in life, and I couldn’t have been prouder of him at that moment. We did talk about how he might have been cutting his corners just a little too tight, and to make sure to give himself a little more room when he turned. 

A little later that day his younger brother came flying past me on his bicycle with training wheels. Now that’s the one you’re going to have to remind to slow down when the time comes for him to drive that first pick-up truck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment