Friday, January 15, 2021

Step by Step




I make an apple cider drink for Chuck and I most days for lunch. Each drink requires two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a full glass of water. 

Now four teaspoons a day really doesn’t sound like much, but what I’ve noticed is how quickly the I go through a bottle. 

Just the other day I noticed it was half full (as opposed to half empty, but that’s just the way I roll) and I was surprised because it seemed like just yesterday I’d bought a new bottle. 

As is often the case my mind began to contemplate the power of small acts done consistently over time, and how powerful they can actually be. 

I saw this quite plainly years ago when Chuck had open heart surgery. When we returned home he was supposed to walk around our house for one minute each day. As I walked beside him holding him steady we continued to add a minute each day as the weeks passed by. 

Before we knew it we were at the mall walking thirty minutes at a fast clip, with me barely able to keep up with him!

Sometimes a task can seem so overwhelming that we don’t even know where to start. Oftentimes the best thing to do is to just begin. Even that first small step or action can make a difference. 

You know what they say, “The way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.”

Don't underestimate the power of the small.



No comments:

Post a Comment