Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Change and Adapt




I mentioned the other day that I had returned to the library for the first time since February. I was not only excited to return since it had been so long, but I was also excited to see the library itself. 

It had been under renovation for almost two years, and I was curious to see how it had turned out. When I got there it didn’t disappoint. Everything looked quite lovely. 

As I began looking around I noticed that the categorizing system of the books had changed. For the first 64 years of my life the library has always revolved around the Dewey Decimal system. Now I can’t say I ever totally memorized it, but I did know which sections I liked. 

What I discovered was that my library had gone to a Book Store model where the books are categorized by subject. Now I know in many ways this probably will be easier in the long run, but I had no idea where each section was or exactly where the books I liked to read were housed. 

I found myself getting a little agitated about why in the heck they had changed a perfectly good system that had worked fine for me my WHOLE LIFE!

It was then I realized that I’m generally okay with change as long as I am initiating it. Moving from Frisco to Las Colinas, and then to Euless a year later was actually an adventure that I embraced. 

Changing the library shelving system, on the other hand, almost threw me over the edge. It brought back memories of the time my library replaced the card catalog with a computer. Horrors! 

Somehow I managed then, and I’m pretty sure I’ll adapt to this new system after another visit or two. 

I guess the reality is that everything changes in life, and adapting to change is just part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment