Friday, December 15, 2017

Doppelgänger


Doppelgänger.

They say we all have a twin somewhere in the world. 

I think I might have met my youngest sister's the other night. Chuck and I were trying out a new restaurant just around the corner from our apartment. He pointed out a woman who he said looked remarkably like my sister. I turned to check her out, and was taken aback at how much she resembled her. 

In fact, pretty much everything about her was a carbon copy, even down to her long curly locks. I kiddingly sent my sister a text questioning whether she was secretly back in Texas? I explained to her that her twin was sitting just a few tables over, and included the ever popular tears streaming down laughing emoji. 

It was then that Chuck and I got the idea that we should see if we could get a picture of the woman to send to my sister. Telling someone was one thing, but showing this remarkable phenomenon was even better. 

Now the wonderful thing about being in the sixth decade of your life is that things you would have never consider doing before come quite easily now.  I scrolled through my pictures, and found a fairly recent photo that pointed out the similarities between the two. As bold as brass I went up to the table where she was sitting with a large group of friends, and apologized for interrupting. I then shared with her, and her friends the picture of my sister.

They all were quite shocked at the resemblance. I asked if she minded letting me take a picture of her to send to my sister. She good naturedly agreed, and a few minutes later I was sending her photo to my other siblings playfully texting that I had seen our New England transplant sister at a local establishment. 

The other really interesting thing about the whole experience was not only how much she looked like my sister, but how even her mannerisms were the same. Each time I caught a glance of her I couldn't help but smile thinking I was hanging out with my baby sis. 


I must say that the whole experience was one of those delightful little kismet moments that sure makes life fun. That, the good company of my husband, and some tasty food made for a really good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment