Thursday, December 7, 2017

The Big Guy


The Big Guy. 

We got some sad news in our community this past week. Our beloved Santa Claus, known affectionately as "The Big Guy" passed away. 

Many of my friends with teenaged children have been visiting this Santa since their children were born. My own little grandson had had his picture taken with him twice already, and was scheduled later in the month for another. 

Perhaps for me my greatest memory of him was when my sweet daughter had her picture made with him when she was fifteen. You see it became apparent early on that Brittany was not comfortable with Santa. She even told me once when she was quite young that her reluctance was that she did not like his big beard. 

As a result we never once graced a Breakfast with Santa, and I never had a yearly photo of her with Santa. To be honest, I was disappointed because I had a certain romantic notion about childhood, and had envisioned it including Santa.

Fast forward about ten years. As is her practice, Brittany gives very thoughtful gifts, and her picture with Santa was one of my most treasured gifts from her. She did confide that she still felt the same way about him even years later, but she wanted to do something special for me. 

Although, I never knew the Big Guy personally, in fact I never even knew his name, he played an important role in the life of our community. This week many of my friends have posted their cherished pictures of this man who brought so much joy to many. 


Rest In Peace, Big Guy knowing that you made a difference in the world, and helped to spread Christmas cheer. 

1 comment: