Monday, December 11, 2017

'Tis the Season


'Tis the Season.

I couldn't help, but give some consideration to consumerism during this time of year. In fact, I found myself reflecting on the idea that our economy really is based on consumerism, and apparently my Christmas shopping does have an impact. 

However, I couldn't help, but also reflect on the fleetingness of consumerism. It sometimes seems that no matter how much you have, there is always something more to want. Advertising does a good job of pointing this out, especially during the holidays. 

I was thinking, though, about how important Christmas presents were to me as a child, and how Christmas Eve was the longest night of the year. My parents had a strict rule that we were not allowed to wake them up before six a.m. to open gifts. I remember how my brother and sisters, and I would sit on the stairs watching the clock slowly tick by. 

In fact, one Christmas Eve my sister and I got up well past midnight, and cleaned our room in an attempt to pass the hours. Of course, back then Christmas and birthdays were usually the only time you received gifts, and the anticipation was half the fun. 

I've reached that point in life now where my wants are few, and coming up with a Christmas list isn't as easy as it used to be.  Last year Chuck and I decided to forgo Christmas gifts as we had spent hours decluttering the house just a month before, and it seemed kind of silly to bring more stuff into the house. However, this year we are celebrating a more traditional Christmas, and look forward to opening gifts on Christmas morning. 


"Possession of a few goods is important for a well-ordered life."
St. Thomas Aquinas



No comments:

Post a Comment