Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Energy


Energy. 

Part of Sir Isaac Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion. I like to remind myself of this point when I'm tempted to not take my nightly walk. 

My efforts over the last five months really paid off when we helped our daughter and son-in-law move a couple of weeks ago. Now luckily I didn't have to load any heavy boxes back and forth, but between packing, cleaning bathrooms, and helping to wrangle my grandson I didn't find much time to slow down. 

I couldn't help, but remember back to our move in March when I was completely exhausted. For the first time in my six decades I really felt my age. I remember taking a break every thirty minutes as I unpacked the boxes at our new apartment amazed at my lack of energy. What I failed to realize was that the six months prior to the move I had become very inactive. I don't think Cooper and I had walked at all during that time period. 

As soon as we moved to our new place, though, I began taking Cooper out for a walk on a regular basis. A prior posting of mine recounts my first attempt to walk around the lake, and how it just about killed me. But, the interesting thing was that step by step each day I began walking a little further without as much effort. Before I knew it a month or two had gone by, and I could walk the entire lake quite effortlessly. 

I can honestly say that I never felt tired while helping out my daughter. It was a great feeling, and sixty-one didn't feel any different than forty-one. When given the chance between being active or not, activity wins my vote. 


No comments:

Post a Comment