Saturday, September 16, 2017

International Dot Day


International Dot Day.

Well apparently I'm a day late, but I still wanted to share this celebration with you in case you were unaware of its existence. Luckily, the date is recorded as September 15th-ish, so I think we are good. 

International Dot day is a way to celebrate creativity and the ability to make a mark on the world. The idea is based on a children's book, The Dot, written by Peter H. Reynolds. In the story a little girl is reluctant to make a mark on her paper because she believes she cannot draw. Her wise and loving art teacher encourages her to make just a simple dot. The little girl's confidence grows as she begins to make all kinds, and all sizes of dots much to her delight. As the story ends the little girl is found offering encouragement to a boy who only knew how to draw a squiggle. 

The story reminds me of the power of the ripple effect. The teacher's kindness was extended to her student, who then went on to extend it to another. The idea of something as simple as a dot also inspires me that the marks we make in life do not need to be grandiose, but rather those simple acts of kindness that can make all the difference.


It is not too late to make your mark on the world, and I hope you join me in celebrating International Dot Day just a little late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment