Thursday, September 28, 2017

Expectations


Expectations. 

How do you meet expectations, and why is that even important? If you are finding yourself struggling to meet either outer or inner expectations you might consider checking out Gretchen Rubin's new book, The Four Tendencies. 

Gretchen has a passion for understanding human behavior, and has developed this system to help people better understand, not only themselves, but others as well. I have found myself to be an upholder, and in learning this it has helped me to understand why I have often found myself not understanding the struggles of others. 

For me, once I've decided to do something it really becomes relatively easy, and I don't really need much outer accountability to achieve my goals. However, if you fall under the category of obliger just adding some outside accountability can make all the difference, and ease a lot of frustration in accomplishing what you want. 

If you are a questioner, just getting the right information might be all you need to convince yourself to move forward. If you find yourself to be a rebel, sometimes just phrasing the expectation in the right way may help you over the hump of not complying. 

What I do know is what works for me probably won't work for you unless you share my type. Unfortunately upholders are few, so me telling you how to do something probably won't work. The good thing, though, is there isn't any one better type. All types have their strengths and weaknesses, and all are capable of achieving great success. 

If you have found yourself struggling, and who hasn't, this little tool might be just what you need to understand yourself and others. You can also find additional information on her blog, gretchenrubin.com if you are interested. 



No comments:

Post a Comment