Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Becoming


Becoming. 

If you've ever read the book by Marie Kondo, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up you'll probably come away with some valuable insights.  To this day I still fold my underwear according to her instructions, and they only take up a small corner of my drawer as they fit neatly into a plastic storage basket. 

She really does have some clever ideas, and I remember when my husband was buying a new truck asking him what Marie would have wanted to know, did the white one really "spark joy?" He ended up buying the grey one instead. 

I came across this quote of hers recently, and it got me to thinking about my current home. "The space in which we live should be for the person we are becoming now, not for the person we were in the past."

I began to consider how our homes really can become museums housing all the things we've collected over the years. Except that often what seemed so important at the time changes, and it really doesn't represent who you we are anymore. 

When I lived in my house I had plenty of room to display seasonal items, so having them around made sense. Now in my apartment there really isn't much room for these displays, and they just seem to take up limited closet space. 

As I consider my possible next home, I know that I'll definitely want it to be smaller rather than larger, so maybe it's time to let a few more things go. Even though, I decluttered a large amount of items last fall, I think I'm ready to let go of a few more things. 

Letting go of things that are no longer representative of the life you live now allows you to focus more on where you are headed. 

Maybe keeping a few treasured items that are easily retrieved or displayed is a better way to go. Focusing more on who you are today might be more freeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment