Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Adjusting


Adjusting.

Sometimes I've noticed if you are trying to switch over to a healthier choice it is often a matter of giving yourself enough time to adjust to the something new. 

I think the phrase is "acquiring a taste" for something. I first noticed this years ago when I began drinking tea sweetened with saccharine, Except at my elementary school they only had real sugar, and even at my back then skinny minny weight I guess I was concerned about drinking tea with sugar, so I began drinking it without any sweetener. To be honest, it tasted really awful at first, but I just continued on. It wasn't too long before I found myself actually enjoying unsweetened tea, and to this day it is my preference, and I find a strong glass of tea very refreshing. 

Recently, I changed creamers in my coffee, again looking for a healthier alternative. I've written before about my beloved chemical laden elixir, and trying something new paled in comparison. But I found myself the other day taking a sip, and finding it quite satisfying. The same thing has happened with steel-cut oats. Never ever having been an oatmeal fan for my entire life, I'm finding myself waking up in the morning craving them with warm, fresh blueberries. Giving myself enough time to aquire a taste for them has made all the difference. 

I was thinking about how sometimes we are quick to give up on something because we don't like it immediately. The whole first impression thing might be over rated. Any time you are trying something new, just like we do for children when we introduce a new food, giving ourself time to adjust might just result in a new favorite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment