Thursday, September 14, 2017

Cooper's Stairs


Cooper's stairs. 

As you all know Cooper has really won my heart, and his well being is a top priority of mine. When we moved into our apartment we splurged on a really nice bed with all the bells and whistles. It's only drawback was that in order for the bedskirt to fit properly, the bed had to be raised to its highest position. 

Now as I've considered whether a fall might result in a broken hip, its really Cooper I have been more worried about. He seems to have no trouble jumping up onto the bed. In fact, on occasion he overestimates the height, and literally comes in like a flying superhero. However, what did concern me was the jump down. 

Now I know Coop is still a young pup, but I was worried that constantly jumping the distance required to reach the hard floor might begin to play havoc on his back. The thought of Cooper being in pain was not acceptable to me, and I knew I had to do something. 

This past weekend Chuck and I invested in some of those doggie stairs that fit next to the bed. Now just because you have the stairs doesn't mean your dog will use them. But, what I've discovered about Coop is that he is highly trainable. I pulled out the training treats from the freezer, and school was in session. After a relatively few tries he seemed to be getting the hang of it. 

Of course, when left to his own devices he would fall back to his old ways of jumping down before I could tell him, "Don't you do it." I continued to encourage him to use the stairs for both going up and down. I figure one day his superhero flying ability might not be so keen, and if he's used to the stairs things would be easier. 

After a few tries now I basically just have to tell him to use his stairs, and he climbs up and down like a champ. The word "stairs" is just another notch in his vocabulary belt. To be honest these poodles absolutely amaze me at their ease of learning and their intelligence. 


More than anything I'm hoping for a long, healthy life for this little guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment