Friday, September 22, 2017

Challenges


Challenges. 

I've discovered recently that I'm not really very well suited to on-line challenges. Regularly you can find challenges on social media that include things like, no spending or eating out for a month, decluttering your home in 30 days or keeping a gratitude journal daily. 

I suppose for some having the accountability of a challenge might make it more fun and achievable. However, for me I don't really seem to be able to keep up with doing something every day over a predetermined period of time. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll miss a day, and then I'll be all bummed because I did so. 

I've also discovered that having some reward at the end of a challenge makes no real difference to me either.  I can be perfectly content with no reward in sight except for the fact that I've accomplished what I set out to achieve. I guess the end result is reward enough for me. Some people do better, though, if they provide some kind of treat along the way to help keep up their motivation. 

What I do know is that if challenges are motivating and work for you then I think they are a great idea. If rewarding yourself along the way works, then by all means reward away. I think sometimes we are guilty of a one size fits all mentality, and feel bad if we don't fully comply. 


As the ancient Greeks have pointed out, "Know thyself," can really help contribute to a more contented life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment