Monday, March 14, 2016

Routine Revisited


Routine revisited. 

In an earlier post I talked about how much I craved routine. I liked the productivity it seemed to bring. In reality, I think it has more to do with the predictability it brings. However, after reading Unlocking Your Creativity by Doreen Poreba, I am finding myself questioning my allegiance to routine. Poreba writes about shifting your perspective by consciously changing your routine. 

By changing your routine you open your mind to "new opportunities that can lead to creative ideas." I think the danger of routine is life begins to function on autopilot. Routine becomes so automatic that you stop thinking. 


I remember my freshman year of college always parking on the same side of the building.  Each day seemed to be identical to the next. It didn't take long before I found myself totally bored by the predictability of my life. The simple act of switching things up a little by parking on the opposite side of the building helped shake me out of my slumber. 


Sometimes in life you find yourself in a rut, and often times routine is the culprit. If you dare, throw caution to the wind and park on the opposite side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment