Thursday, March 24, 2016

Comfort Food


Comfort food. 

I didn't grow up on macaroni and cheese. Perhaps that was because my parents didn't grow up in the south. 

The first time I remember making the golden goodness was when I was around thirteen and was babysitting a family from church. Part of my responsibilities was to make dinner. I remember never quite getting the powdered cheese completely mixed into the noodles. 

But never the less, it became my new found favorite food. I remember stopping off on my way home from church on Sunday's regularly to pick up the blue and yellow box. It's twenty-
five cent cost worked well into my limited allowance. 


Over the years I've fixed the box mix of macaroni and cheese over and over again. I have never grown tired of the comfort it seems to bring. When my daughter was older she insisted on the real deal, not the boxed version. Macaroni and cheese has now become a favorite at Thanksgiving. But to be honest, I still find the boxed version more comforting. 

I found myself craving it last night. There really is something about the comfort certain foods can bring. 



2 comments:

  1. My comfort foods are salty. Oh, and a side of cheese is good with a salty cracker.

    ReplyDelete