Monday, March 7, 2016

Cultivate


Cultivate. 

What are you wanting to cultivate in your life? I'm wanting to cultivate a creative life. 

And just like a garden needing the green thumb of the gardener, leaving creativity up to chance might just result in a failed crop. Although, my experience has been limited to a little container gardening, what I do remember is that I had to tend to my garden daily. It couldn't just be hit or miss. If I failed to water my plants they would dry up and wither away. 

As I think about creativity in my life, I see the need for the same level of involvement. If I truly want a more creative life, then I have to water it daily. Now of course, each day will not 
provide the same window of opportunity, so I have to be aware of creative possibilities. 
Sometimes though, I need to actually schedule something on the calendar. 



Julia Cameron, the author of The Artist's Way, encourages weekly Artist Dates. These are planned outings that allow for creativity cultivation. They help you to view the world through fresh eyes, and can provide inspiration. They also reinforce the idea that taking time to do something creative is a priority. Make time to cultivate what is important to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment