Friday, August 20, 2021

Why I Love My House- The Library


(Photo credit- Herrmann Construction)


When I think of a house having a library I can’t help but think of the game of Clue. You know Mr. Mustard in the Library with the candlestick!

When we began to plan this house, and met with the cabinet maker I mentioned the idea of putting some bookshelves in one of the bedrooms. I’ve been a book lover my entire life, and have always made do with a bookshelf here or there, but never anything built in. 

Most of the time I’ve used extra shelves in a closet to store my overflow of books. In fact over the last four years I’ve given away dozens of books trying to live a more minimalistic life. 
As difficult it was to part with them I knew that someone else would find enjoyment in them rather than me hoarding them on my shelves. 

When the cabinet maker showed me his design for the room I was taken aback. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that I would have such a lovely place to house my beloved books. 

Each week when we would arrive to check out the progress made on the house I would hurry back to “The Library” as I affectionately named it to see how the bookshelves were coming along. 

They turned out beyond my expectations, and are absolutely gorgeous. As I unpacked all my books they quickly filled up the first three rows of shelves. I then used the fourth level to display some of my favorite things I’ve collected over the years. 

I still have one row completely bare so there is room to grow over the years. 
I enjoyed sorting my books by categories, using the bookstore method over the Dewey decimal system. 

I have children’s books, fiction, books on religion, creativity, personality types, travel, current events, history, and now room for things like high school yearbooks. 

Underneath the shelves are cabinets which house my overflowing collection of photo albums and scrapbooks. They are now easily accessible, as opposed to being stored high on a closet shelf not within reach. 

Between the two shelves is a built in window seat which faces our side pasture. My plan is to have a cushion made to fit this space. 

I’ll share with you in another post the incredible closet in that room as well. 

Each time I enter my library I can’t help but smile. 





No comments:

Post a Comment