Monday, August 23, 2021

Why I Love My House- The Closet




I’ve seen some pretty remarkable closets in my day. Most feature a chandelier, and some sort of island in the middle with wonderful drawers for things like jewelry and scarves. In addition there usually is a plethora of shelves dedicated to an Imelda Marcos sized shoe collection. 

Considering that when my son-in-law was moving boxes for me he noticed about two boxes of shoes, and thirty boxes of books, you can almost guess that the master closet is not my favorite.

Instead, my favorite closet is in the library. It’s a retired teacher’s dream, and in fact it reminds me a little of the supply closet at my first school. As a beginning teacher on a tight budget I loved visiting it to peruse the shelves for supplies to make the things I needed for my classroom. 

Along with floor to ceiling shelves, the size of the closet is almost the size of a small room. In fact, there is even room for a card table in there, which is perfect for two little boys I know who like to do crafts. 

I have an entire section dedicated to “school stuff” for the boys. Last year I did a little homeschooling with the oldest grandson. Alongside the school materials are toys for the boys.
 
I have several tubs filled with memorabilia, lots and lots of notebooks, some Christmas decorations, a file cabinet and an art cart all tucked away inside. 

I also have several tubs full of crafting supplies for some of my hobbies. What I love about this set up is that everything is easily accessible. In the past I’ve had to sift through so many tubs to locate what I was looking for I found myself reluctant to do so because it was too much trouble. 

Even filing has become easier because I actually have a place to hold all my papers, a chair to sit on, and a surface to sort through everything. 

The reality is that because we’ve chosen for this closet to be so big, and have added bookcases to this room, the actually living space is less. That being said, you still don’t have a crowded feel in there, and in fact the other day I moved the card table out to the center of the room for my grandsons, and had plenty of room. 

It worked beautifully, and Chuck said he knew I was in my element as a teacher. Yes, it was kind of like riding a bike...you never forget!




No comments:

Post a Comment