Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Decorating an Apartment on a Dime

 




I was talking with Brittany last night and after viewing our IKEA furniture haul she jokingly made the comment that it looked like we were back in college. 

She had a point, and both Chuck and I had made the same remark earlier as we snaked our way through IKEA, or as I like you call it the belly of the beast. 

Of course, there was no IKEA forty years ago that I know of, but the sentiment was still there. 
I remember my first apartment being furnished initially with bean bag chairs, a borrowed table, my old twin size bed from the bedroom at home, and a lamp given to me by my Dad.

As I prepared to set up two households I made my way to my old stomping grounds, Walmart and started purchasing on the cheap what I thought we might need in a minimalist way. 

I found a cute set of blue and white dishes for $12.00. Heck paper plates would have added up to that amount pretty quickly. 

My $10.00 silverware set sealed the deal. 

I brought a few extra utensils I had at home, but did invest in a set of knives, some new measuring cups and spoons, a colander, can opener, dish towels, and mixing bowls. 

I had an extra set of pots and pans that I brought. 
We ended up getting our bedspread from IKEA, and I bought a really pretty shower curtain at Walmart. Everything is fine in blues and grays. 
It’s actually been fun pulling it all together, and as we have been going along we are learning what else we need to function easily at the apartment. 

So far I’m really pleased, and can’t wait for Chuck to finish assembling the furniture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment