Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Reassurance





“Everything is going to work,” isn’t true. It can’t be.”
Seth Godin 
For me this lesson was learned over forty years ago the day my mother passed away. 
Up until that day nothing had occurred in my young life that didn’t square with everything’s going to work out. 

Even though I did not gave a boyfriend at the I knew one day I would be married. Even though, I was only able to procure a part-time teaching position I knew that the next year I would probably be working full time. 

Even though I still had acne I figured few sixty year olds did. 
You see in my naïveté I assumed everything in my life would eventually work out. 
Losing my mother at the age of twenty-two brought home the sad reality that not everything works out. 

Today when I hear of someone diagnosed with cancer, I know in my heart of hearts it might not work out. When someone struggles with infertility I know they may never have a child. When someone is still unmarried at the age of forty, the chances are they probably aren’t going to get married. 

As much as we may want something that doesn’t make it so. 

I’ve learned to make the best of situations knowing that our future is never guaranteed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment