Tuesday, February 16, 2021

The Fiction Conundrum





I’m a reader. I’ve loved to read ever since about third grade when I read The Hundred Dresses. I remember walking home from school that day with my nose buried deep in that book. 

My true love affair with books began around fourth grade when I was introduced to Nancy Drew. I couldn’t get enough, and so badly wanted to be her. I really attribute a lot of my independent nature to Nancy, and I never once thought that any boy was better than I. 

Over the years I have gone through stages in what I’ve enjoyed reading, but sadly in the last several years I find myself reading less and less fiction. Unless it’s for Book Club, and even then it’s sometimes like pulling teeth, I bypass the fiction section of the library. 

I’ve become obsessed with information, and can’t seem to be interested in anything but nonfiction. 

As I’ve reflected on the fiction that I have read recently I do find that I am drawn more toward historical fiction. Knowing something really happened seems to give it more value as far as my time goes. 

What I have noticed about current fiction, though, is that the story is often written from the perspective of more than one person or time period. The author flips from person to person or time to time, and I’ve found that I don’t care for this. 

Just give me a linear story with a few characters and I’m fine. I’m sure editors are encouraging authors to write a certain type of book that sells these days. 

The other problem for me is that I’ve read so many books in my life that I’m easily bored by a predictable, dare I say formulaic story. There was a time when I was content to just play along as if I had no idea what was going to happen next, but not so much anymore. 

The other problem is my attention span, which with the invention of the i pad is about as long as a gnats. I’m so used to jumping from one thing to the next, unless a fiction story completely grabs me I just can’t stick with it. 

I figure if I’m going to be spending my time doing something it ought to be something somewhat worthwhile. However, this saddens me to some degree because reading has always something I’ve LOVED to do. 

Hanging out at libraries, and spending my time in bookstores are still some of my most favorite things to do. 

If you’ve read any good fiction lately or in the past, I’m definitely open to some new suggestions. Also, what are your thoughts about audio books, and do they really count when it comes to “reading” books?



No comments:

Post a Comment