Monday, February 15, 2021

Processes




“Lost in this obsession with outcomes is the truth that outcomes are the results of process. Good processes repeated over time, lead to good outcomes more often than lazy processes do.” 
Seth Godin

I’ve been struggling for a while with this whole weight maintenance thing. You see for me losing weight is a hundred times easier than keeping it off. 

When I make the decision to lose weight I‘m laser focused and NEVER cheat. I am able to do this for around three to five months depending on how long it takes me to lose the weight. 

Sadly as I’ve gotten older it seems to take forever for the weight to come off. Patience and perseverance are what is needed in this phase. 

However, once I’ve crossed the finish line now the hard work of forever comes into play. You would think that my eating habits would have changed with my rigorous weight loss routine, and they have to some degree. 

However, except for those diabolical ones that refuse to leave. Please don’t ask me about that bag of Nacho flavored Doritos that may or may not have made their way into our home on Super Bowl Sunday. Heck, Chuck and I didn’t even watch the Super Bowl, but we took it as an opportunity to partake in some pretty junky food that day. 

While reading Seth Godwin’s new book, The Practice, I found the above quote to be quite true. When I overly focus on just the scale then I lose sight of the process, and the control I have over that. 

Over time as I become lazy in the process I find myself making poorer and poorer choices. When I repeatedly stick to the good processes I know to work I have much better success, and feel so much better. 

After attending my WW meeting on Zoom due to the inclement weather I returned to the good process of walking for thirty minutes up and down our hall. I began this last March when our 15 Days to Slow the Spread ( little did we know) began. 

I enjoy walking and listening to podcasts as I make my way up and down my hallway, so this is actually a win win for me. 

Earlier that morning as Chuck and I ate a delicious, and filling  breakfast I made the comment that the process of eating a substantial, yet healthy breakfast set me on the right track for the day. 

I know how easy it is to become lazy, and make excuses for not doing what I know works. If I’ll repeatedly stick to the good processes then my outcomes will have a greater chance of being successful.

I’m feeling motivated again, especially knowing that my health is nothing to take for granted. Maybe Godin’s words can be of encouragement for you as well. 





No comments:

Post a Comment