Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Anticipation




Anticipation: the act of looking forward to something

In her book Keep it Moving , choreographer Twyla Tharp writes about the power of anticipation as a motivator. 

What I discovered when thinking about it was that anticipation has not been a key motivator in my life. 

Beyond Christmas Eve as a child I can’t say I am highly motivated by anticipation.

Studies using mice have shown that the anticipation of a reward, not the actual reward, is what triggered a rise in dopamine in the mice. For many people, just like these mice, the anticipation is more pleasurable than the reward itself once the initial newness wears off.

I remember reading the suggestion of using treats along the way to reward yourself as you work toward your goal. For me, not that I don’t enjoy treats, I’ve found that it really doesn’t influence me one way or another. 

I’m pretty intrinsically motivated so I find satisfaction in accomplishing a task, not so much anticipating a reward at the end. 

Tharp has found that on the days she has nothing planned, in other words nothing to look forward to, she finds herself more in a funk. I can’t say I follow suit. 

I seem content to allow each day to play out as it should. Some days I have plans, and others not so much. Either way I generally feel happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment