Thursday, February 18, 2021

Polar Vortex





Well Texas has been experiencing extreme temperatures since the weekend. Sadly it has resulted in rolling blackouts which have in reality resulted in many homes being completely without power for days on end. 

We were braced for the blackouts this Saturday when we realized that we never lost power. As the weekend continued and the week began we learned that we may have been one of the few neighborhoods in Euless still to have electricity. 

We found out that the electricity was being kept on for essential businesses. Since we live only about five minutes from DFW airport, a major transportation hub in the US, we were fortunate to be included in their grid. 

Because of this we have not had to deal with a lack of heat. 
Early Tuesday morning we realized, though, that we no longer had hot water. Chuck attempted to warm up our tankless water heater outside, but to no avail. 

Luckily our cold water is safe to drink, unlike my sister’s water supply in Keller. On Wednesday I got a new respect for the ease of a shower and hot water. I attempted my own version of Little House on the Prairie by boiling water to add to my tub. 

Let’s just say I never actually accomplished my goal of a hot bath. Rather I sat in a tepid pool of water and quickly washed off. I was able to wash my hair ( which was in dire need) and will know from now on to keep a bottle of dry shampoo around for emergency use. 

What has been more of an inconvenience for us has actually ended in death for some Texas residents. A former colleague of mine has spent close to 60 hours alone and freezing, as her power has not come on at all. 

Another friend posted yesterday that her home was flooded, and she was having trouble getting anyone out to help due to the inclement weather. 

Even the governor has called for an investigation as to why our power grid failed so miserably. What I do know is that some of the “luxuries” that we have today are actually necessities since we have no other way to stay safe. 

We are very grateful, through no fault of our own, that we have been spared what many are going through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment