Friday, September 23, 2016

Stuff


Stuff. 

Dominique Browning in her New York Times article, Let's Celebrate the Art of Clutter, writes, "We are in a collective , and most unfortunate paroxysm of guilt and anxiety over our stuff." It seems very uncool these days to admit you love your stuff. 

Now in checking the definition of clutter it includes the terms untidy and disorderly. Although, my husband and I value our stuff we have little tolerance for disorder, and our stuff needs to abide in a more orderly state. What has been on our mind lately, though, is the eventual "D" word; you know downsizing. Now that we are empty nesters do we really need all this space? And if we really don't need all this space what are we going to do with all our stuff?

After almost two decades in our present home we have accumulated quite a bit, inspite of regular trips to Goodwill and an occasional garage sale. And to quote my husband, "I like my stuff." For me I find myself sentimentally attached to many of our possessions, and the thought of letting them go makes me uncomfortable. How do you part with stuff you like and stuff that brings back memories?

However, on the other hand the thought of lightening the load really does seem appealing. In some ways our home has just become a gathering place for the different seasons in our life. Our daughter no longer lives at home, and yet I cling to things that she no longer values. I have retired from teaching, but still hold onto much of my teaching stuff. My husband has enjoyed many hobbies along the way and much of his stuff is just gathering dust. 





So my question today is; is there an easier way to do this? For those of you who have already downsized what did you find worked for you? Although, I don't have a set plan I do know the day is coming, and per usual I just want to be prepared. 

3 comments:

  1. Wish I had a solution. Anyone? I try to do a little every time the recycling goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went from a three bedroom home, that I had raised my kids in and was there 15 years to a tiny one bedroom apartment. After assessing the practical items going into the apartment and knowing I would probably need a storage unit for the rest. I made a decision not to store anything but antiques and furniture. It was very hard of course and I cried when I closed the house on the last day there. But wow, now I have become a minimalist! I have the memory of all the kids things that I had cringed too for so long. It is also amazing that I don't miss the "stuff". What helped me is having a firm date to be out of the house and knew the limited space I would have once I moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. It really is amazing how much you can accumulate especially with kids. I'm realizing that our kids want to collect their own things for their children instead of holding onto all the stuff I couldn't let go of.

      Delete