Friday, September 18, 2015

Dad's Humming


Dad's humming. I don't know if you know much about dementia, but it is a cruel disease. It robs you of your ability to communicate. It robs you of names, words, memories, thoughts and it takes no prisoners. My father has been in the later stages of dementia for the last six months, and although he is receiving excellent care it has been hard on everyone, especially him. I see the frustration in his face as he attempts to express himself. He gets about five words into the sentence and he is unable to finish his thought. He spends his days dependent on others for the things he used to take for granted. However, my Dad still can smile, and on occasion laugh about something funny. But what caught my attention the other day was that he was humming; something he used to do regularly. I found my heart taking a little leap when I heard him. Although, this crazy thing called dementia was slowly taking away the father I've always known, for one small moment we were back to the way things were. It is these small blessings that I hold fast to as time marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment