Thursday, July 9, 2015

Dad's Birthday


Dad's birthday. We celebrated Dad's 87th birthday the other day. It was actually quite fun and Dad really enjoyed himself. He laughed, ate cake, and enjoyed spending time with his family. Now the next day when I asked him about the party, he couldn't quite remember that it had happened. I laughed and told him it did, and that he had had a great time!  When visiting Dad you have to enjoy the simple moments; the kiss upon your cheek, him introducing you as his daughter, and him thanking you for caring for him. It's hard to see dementia robbing Dad of his independence, of his ability to communicate, and his old life. But in life we don't always get to choose the cards we are dealt. I am appreciative of each day that he recognizes me, because I know there will come a day when he may not. Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment