Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Original

Original. 

There is a burden to being original. Especially, because if the truth be known nothing really is totally original. Author Austin Kleon in his super cool book, Steal Like an Artist, reminds us that, " If we're free from the burden of trying to be completely original, we can stop trying to make something out of nothing, and we can embrace influence instead of running away from it."

I've found without influence I struggle to come up with ANY ideas let alone original ideas. Of course, my influences can come from many different directions. Being open
 and aware of them is what really counts. 

Instead of using originality as an excuse not to be creative, let it become a liberating force. Look for things that seem to grab your attention and go from there. This could include new culinary delights, fashion trends, redecorating a room, writing in a journal or any array of creative endeavors you might fancy to undertake. 

Knowing that you don't have to start at square one makes starting so much easier. I find pinning ideas and inspirations on Pinterest a way to not take up too much room in what can be an already too cluttered world. For me having a continual stream of books in my life also seems to keep my own creative juices flowing. 


What I do know is that when I'm spending time ruminating over a possible idea life just seems a little more interesting. If you are concerned that others might judge you as unoriginal consider the words of the French writer Andre Gide, "Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again."

2 comments:

  1. Love that last quote. I enjoyed the book Steal Like An Artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I first read it when I was subbing in the GT teacher's classroom, and picked up my own copy this week when I saw it at Fed Ex. They actually had some pretty cool books there.

      Delete