Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Animal Trapped


Animal trapped. 

Have you ever been animal trapped? Let me explain. As I'm writhing this I'm sprawled out on the couch, i pad in hand with a dog on my shoulder, and a purring cat on my chest no more than two inches from my face. 

Now besides worrying a little about the close proximity of the cat to my face, as she has been known to bite, I'm pretty comfortable. Of course, my comfort pales in comparison to the animals surrounding me. Both of them seem pretty darn content, and knowing the cat would be happy to remain in this position for most of the day is a given. 

I did not grow up with pets, but my love and desire for one pretty much was constant throughout my childhood. Each birthday as I blew out my my candles I would always wish for a puppy. In my teenaged years that wish changed to a boyfriend, but just like the puppy I never received either. Besides Susie my tiny red-eared slider, my first furry pet was our calico cat Taffy who joined our household when I was thirteen. I think we had finally worn our mother down, and when the neighbor's cat had kittens our Mom surprised us with one. I was happy to provide Taffy with a retirement home for the last six months of her life almost seventeen years later. 

My first dog was a beautiful Siberian Husky that Chuck and I got a year after we were married when I was thirty. That childhood wish had finally materialized as well as that whole boyfriend thing which resulted in a husband. I remember being so unfamiliar with dogs that I really felt a little uncomfortable around the little hair producing machine. It didn't take me long, though, to be completely smitten. 


Today I couldn't imagine a life without a dog or cat. To be completely honest, but don't tell the cat, if given the choice of only having one my heart does lean more toward canine. However, there really is nothing more relaxing then a purring feline, eyes barely open sitting contentedly inches from your face. Being animal trapped isn't so bad after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment