Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Twenty Percent


Twenty Percent. 

I came across a posting the other day that that stated how eighty percent of new beekeepers quit within two years. Now not that I have a burning desire to be a beekeeper or anything, but it did get me to wondering if this statistic might "bee" true for other endeavors? 

Sure enough, a quick Google search resulted in an article about how eighty percent of New Year's resolutions are never fulfilled. So in other words only about twenty percent of resolutions are ever kept. Is that due more to some people being extremely disciplined or perhaps does it have more to do with the satisfaction gained from the endeavor?


I've found that it's easier to stick with things that you really like. I actually make my bed in the morning because I like the way the bed feels at night. As much as I'd like to give credit to discipline, it really has more to do with liking the payoff. 

I've been able to stick with my blog for over two years, because I really enjoy writing it, and interacting with my readers. I had read a statistic once that said most people gave up on their blog within three months. What has also helped me to stay on track is committing to posting each weekday. By not giving myself an out or as Gretchen Rubin would say, "By not breaking the chain," it has kept me motivated to continue writing. 


Sometimes in life falling into the twenty percent range has more to do with really enjoying what you do. So even though it might require discipline and hard work you don't mind putting forth the effort.  While in contrast when choosing to do something that you think you "should" do, you might find it more difficult to continue. What is your twenty percent?



No comments:

Post a Comment