Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Small Steps


Small steps. 

Three months ago when we first moved we decided to walk the perimeter of the lake that surrounds our apartment complex. Perhaps I should say Chuck pushed us to give it a go. I reluctantly agreed knowing full well that I had not walked regularly in months, and that the shoes I was wearing were sorely lacking. 

Now the good thing was that we were able to complete the entire trek without having to send out for rescue assistance. However, the bad thing was that I was absolutely miserable. Each step seemed to be weighted down in concrete, and I certainly paid the price in sore muscles for the next few days. I remember collapsing in the bed and lying there with the massaging feature on full blast. 

As bad as I felt physically, I felt even worse when it came to my ego. How could I have allowed myself to get so out of shape that a simple walk was like climbing Mt. Everest for me? I knew something had to change. I immediately bought a pair of really expensive walking shoes, and Cooper and I hit the trail.  Now I did not set any other goals besides trying to get out for a little walk every day. As time went on I found our walks increasing in length and in speed. 

On Sunday evening Chuck suggested giving the whole lake another try; something I had been considering for a while. Three months had passed since that fateful sojourn, I'd purchased the proper equipment, had begun a daily training regime, and felt that the time was right to attempt Lake Carolyn for a second time. 

I'm happy to report that both of us walked the perimeter of the lake with ease. We arrived home a little thirsty, but there was no need for days of recooperation. I'm also happy to report that after six weeks of Weight Watchers I'm down six pounds, and am working my "weigh" back to my goal weight, which technically has changed a little since I'm now a little older. 


I guess what I'm once again being reminded of is that the tortoise really does win the race, step by step.  Sometimes when we look at the whole of something we can be overwhelmed by the task, but if we break it down into smaller increments we probably will have a better chance at succeeding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment