Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Motivation


Motivation. 

What motivates you? Chris Guillebeau breaks the idea of motivation into two categories; achievement or process. The achievement oriented person is one who looks for results or accomplishments. The process oriented person, on the other hand, finds happiness through the doing, and is not so dependent on the end result. 

I probably fall more into the process category. Although, I can make a list of accomplishments in my life they have never been my driving force. I seem more drawn to follow those things that happen to interest me at the time. As much as I admire those who have dedicated a lifetime to one thing I'm afraid that will never be me. 

I tend to become very motivated by something, and over time that enthusiasm begins to fade as I search for the next new thing. I'm okay with that, though, because being true to your nature allows you to live a more contented life.  

Recently I had made a list of things I wanted to accomplish. However,  I found I was struggling to begin the list, and wondered why? For some, procrastination can be motivated by fear or uncertainty, but that really didn't seem to be the case. In reviewing the list I realized my projects were really listed more out of duty and obligation than anything else. 

Things that at one time seemed important, suddenly didn't seem to matter so much. If I have the gift of time, I'd rather spend it doing something I really want to do rather than fulfilling things that I once thought I should do.  So today I'm going to consider those things that spark an interest for me, and concentrate my energies on enjoying the process. 



2 comments:

  1. What a revelation! So good that you realized what your list really was about. I hope you were able to come up with another list. This makes me want to re-examine the list I've come up with for the near future. Thank you for this post and all of your others. AnnMarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I think the other list was easier for me. I'm not sure why I struggle more with what I really want to do.

      Delete