Friday, June 16, 2017

Certainty


Certainty.

Chuck and I are at that interesting time of life where we seem to be focusing more on the future, rather than the present. I suppose some of that has to do with having just sold the house, and having moved to an apartment resulting in being in a state of transition. Although, to be perfectly honest I'm finding myself more and more content with this apartment life. 

As we have kicked around what to do next, which all basically revolves around the farm, I've found my head swimming with all the possible options. As I became grumpier, and more argumentative I realized that I didn't want to focus so much on tomorrow, but more on today. I explained to Chuck that this life was not a holding pattern for me until something better came along, but that this was actually my life, and I was finding myself enjoying it more and more. 

As I wrote this I was sitting out on my porch enjoying the falling rain. Luckily, my porch is just covered enough to keep me dry. I never had this option at my home in Frisco, and mostly found myself stuck inside whenever it rained. So having the opportunity to spend more time outside has really contributed to my happiness. 

As much as knowing what is happening next might be a comfort, maybe not knowing is the better way. Author Mark Manson believes that, "Certainty is the enemy of growth." By keeping my options open, and not knowing what's around the corner, I might be surprised by what life has to offer. In other words there might be something even better out there. 


I've found those unplanned days that just seem to pop up can many times be the most fun. So although, I'm all about the plan, I'm also all about letting growth occur. Stop thinking that certainty is your friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment