Friday, April 15, 2016

Focus


Focus.

I came across the word ennui the other day, and although it was unfamiliar to me, after reading its definition, I found it was something I had experienced before. Ennui is pronounced (ahn wee) and it means a feeling of listlessness or dissatisfaction with a current situation. Its synonyms include boredom, tedium and weariness. 


As often is the case I came across something else in my reading that seemed to go hand in hand with ennui. Sarah Young writes, "When you focus on what you don't have or on a situation that displeases you...You look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is fixed."

I have found it is easy to get so caught up in the one thing that is wrong that you refuse to enjoy the many things that are right. I keep thinking that if I could just fix the one thing that is causing me dissatisfaction, then everything else will just fall in place. However, chances are there will always be something needing to be fixed. 

Young is correct in pointing out, though, that what we choose to focus on can either shake us out of our doldrums or continue to keep us mired in dissatisfaction. Experiencing ennui gives us the opportunity to make those choices, and hopefully propell us forward. 





No comments:

Post a Comment