Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Left Brain Right Brain


Left brain, right brain. 

If you were to ask me which hemisphere of my brain was more dominant, I would probably tell you my left. I am very analytical, organized, and view my life as a series of time oriented events. However, on the flip side I am also very imaginative, and funny, and quick to look for resourceful ways to solve my problems. 

And this is where my dilemma arises. I have struggled to call myself a "creative." I am too conventional in my thoughts and appearance. I don't feel comfortable sticking out as different. Although I enjoy art, my lack of drawing ability has kept me from considering myself a true artist. 

How could someone like me who leans so strongly toward the left brain really be creative? And yet in my heart of hearts, I knew I was, and had been my entire life. 

Well apparently new research is dismissing the old myth that only strongly right brained individuals are truly creative. New studies are finding that creativity is a combination of both sides of the brain; a more whole brain approach. According to Deborah K. Heisz in Live Happy "In other words all of us have a creative network just waiting to be activated." 

This was validated just the other day when I took one of those Facebook quizzes about the brain. My results were 55% left brain, and 45% right brain. Of course, this is not a scientific study, but it did help answer my question as to how I could be primarily left brain, and still highly creative. 

If you've given up on yourself as being creative, you might want to reconsider, and look for your own personal route to creativity. 


4 comments:

  1. Art is more than drawing/painting. It comes in many forms. One area in which you are very creative is your writing. I have loved reading your posts and watching your creativity and insights grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renita for your kind words. I have loved writing the blog and have so appreciated those who read it. Take care.

      Delete