Friday, April 22, 2016

Life's Plan



Life's plan. 

As a teenager when I thought about my future I assumed a lot. I assumed I would get married in my early twenties. I assumed I would have four children. I assumed I would be a stay at home mom, although the term had not yet been coined. I never really asked myself what do I like, what do I want to do, or how do I see myself living my life?

I was reading in the paper the other day about a young couple who were embracing the tiny house movement. Now, I have no desire to live in a tiny house, although I have been longing for a tiny camper, but what struck me about this couple was the why behind their tiny house. Randi and Cody Hennigan stated, "We started talking about our life's plan and where do we want to be. We wanted to spend more time together outdoors."

According to the article in The Dallas Morning News, Nancy Baldwin said, "The tiny house, they realized, would allow them the mobility and flexibility they sought, reduce their footprint and decrease their need for income." I can't help but admire this younger generation making choices about their future in such a thoughtful manner. It seems Baby Boomers and Generation X patterned their lives after the accumulation of bigger and better stuff. Keeping up with the infamous Jones was a driving force of my generation. 

As I enter the next part of my life I don't want to assume anything about the path I should take. I want to thoughtfully consider my, "life's plan and where I want to be." Maybe, these Millennials are onto something. 

2 comments:

  1. As our last daughter left home last week, my husband I have been thinking a lot about our life's plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I are kicking around ideas as well. It's kind of fun!

      Delete