Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Boredom




Boredom. Are you comfortable with being bored? For most of us boredom is something we find unpleasant. But what if there was an upside to boredom? What if boredom could be a springboard toward creativity? Sometimes to alleviate boredom we fill our days with obligations. Busyness allows us to check things off a to-do list so we don't have to deal with boredom. However, when  children complain of being bored, we often encourage them to find something creative to do. Once when I was administering a test which basically required me to do nothing more than monitor without interacting with the students, I found myself struggling with boredom. I have a mind that needs to be actively engaged pretty much all of  the time, and I was not allowed to read or use the computer. In my attempts to do away with boredom, I noticed that one of the students had brought her snack in a Walmart bag. The letters were clearly 
displayed and before I knew it I was challenging myself to see how many words I could make in my head. You'd be surprised at the amount. Instead of allowing myself to complain about being bored, I used it as an opportunity to do  something creative. I like this quote by Dorothy Parker: "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity," Stay curious my friend.

1 comment: