Thursday, August 27, 2015

Travel


Travel. St. Augustine is credited with the saying, "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." The interesting thing about travel, though, is that research shows that for some of us, planning the vacation is just as enjoyable as actually taking the vacation. For me this rings true. I am a planner by nature, a list maker, a researcher and spending time before my actual vacation dreaming about the places I want to visit all brings me great pleasure. I come by this honestly as my Dad a former military officer used to have our vacations planned to the tee. I remember before our famous 1976 Bicentennial vacation to New England, him sitting at the kitchen table sharing the itinerary of our trip. I can honestly, say that was one of  my best vacation yet, and returned home a changed person. Now, I have had many friends who have encouraged me to be more spontaneous in my travels; to allow the trip to evolve on its own. And I must admit that there was one black bear I would never have seen if my husband hadn't insisted we take the scenic route through The Smokey Mountains National Park. However, the pleasure I derive from the planning and anticipation of the trip makes it all that more enjoyable for me. Now, most of the time my husband is okay with this, but he still requests a little leeway when it comes to the off  beaten path. I guess the lesson learned here is twofold, "To thine own self be true," but be open to the possibilities presented by the unknown. Safe travels my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment