Chuck and I decided to take a little day trip to Waco this week. We needed to stop by Sam's, and after a little investigation, I learned that there was one just seven minutes north of Waco in Belton.
We had already done the whole Magnolia thing, so we decided to go a different direction this time in spending a day in Waco.
We started at the Dr. Pepper Museum, and although I'm not a fan of Dr. Pepper, I highly recommend the museum. The story of carbonated beverages goes all the way back to 1767, when an English chemist named Joseph Priestley invented them.
The unique blend of flavors that created Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas, in 1885 by a local pharmacist named Charles Alderton, one year before Coca-Cola.
We also learned that Big Red was made first in Waco. It was released in 1937 from Perfection Barber and Beauty Supply Company.
Before we left, we had a complimentary glass of both Dr. Pepper and Big Red. After my disastrous experience in 1968 at a Stuckey’s (you know, the precursor to Buc-ee's) with my first exposure (and, to be honest, pretty much my last) to Dr. Pepper, I wasn't too hyped about trying the elixir.
I must say, it wasn't too bad, but I'm definitely a cola girl. Chuck had never tried Big Red before and found it too sweet and candy-like for his tastes.
After we left the museum, we walked over to Spice Village. Did I mention we were able to avoid paying the $10.00 parking fee for the museum by parking on the road? I had visited Spice Village once before with my childhood friend, Ann Marie. I didn't remember it having so many clothes. Boutique shopping has never really been my thing.
We left and headed for a bookstore that had popped up on my Facebook feed. Fabled is a lovely bookshop, although the advertised cafe turned out to be just refrigerated sandwiches, which were gone by the time we got there.
Chuck got an espresso, and between the two of us we purchased four books: Jane Eyre, Fahrenheit 451, Writing, Creativity and Soul by Sue Monk Kidd, and On Writing by Stephen King.
We left the bookstore and had lunch at The Olive Branch. Chuck had a delicious brisket sandwich and I had an underwhelming chicken salad. You’ll be happy to know that I jazzed it up the next day with grapes, pecans and Bill’s seasoning and it was quite tasty. I will say their croissant was excellent as was their homemade chips.
All four destinations were within walking distance.
From there we headed to Sam's and stocked up on a few things, including the petite pickles that we are quite obsessed with. We picked up a couple of extra jars for our pickle-loving middle grandson.
On the return drive home, we passed by the mall, which I had forgotten about. Since it housed both a Kohl’s and a Belk’s, I figured I'd be making a return trip.
The beauty of it is that Waco is only an hour and forty-five minutes down Hwy 6, and it is a peaceful, enjoyable drive. No worrying about the traffic jams of the metroplex.









No comments:
Post a Comment