Searching for thimbles has become a quest of epidemic proportions. Over the years as we have traveled from place to place I have loved the thrill of the hunt. A few years after I retired, we took a trip through Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. I came home easily with eight thimbles.
However, a few years ago on a trip to Ruidoso, New Mexico, I found it quite difficult to locate many thimbles. In talking with a shop owner, I learned that they just aren’t being manufactured anymore. I guess the demand was just not there.
Over the years I have kept my eyes open in antique shops for others’ collectionsand I've filled in the gaps with some of these finds. However, after this year’s road trip I've sadly had to accept the fact that souvenir thimbles are a thing of the past.
Why hadn't I brought home a shot glass from my honeymoon? It appears shot glasses are still a hot commodity. Who knew?
So far in this trip I have been able to locate two and am thrilled about that! I've come to the conclusion that I may have to resort to eBay to continue my collection.

No comments:
Post a Comment