Earlier this year, I had the idea that it would be really cool to celebrate my 70th birthday in New England during our country’s 250th anniversary. I had turned 20 in New England in 1976 when my family was celebrating the bicentennial. So it seemed like a good idea.
Unfortunately, I hadn't counted on Chuck having to have surgery on a ruptured bicep a couple of months before. He was in so much pain and was limited to what he could do; I figured we’d better stick a little closer to home this summer.
Knowing that the Truman Presidential Library was in Independence, Mo., it made more sense not to travel three days away, when one would do just fine. This was the plan for several weeks until Chuck brought up the idea of sticking to our original plan.
He really wanted me to celebrate my birthday there, and by this time he was doing much better with his arm and assured me he would be up to the drive.
We made arrangements to board Ginger and Bluebonnet (Brittany would be taking care of Cooper), purchased some comfortable seat cushions for the drive, and stocked up on plenty of snacks.
I downloaded a couple of novels on the Libby app, and we were good to go. Little did we realize that in the eleven days we were gone, we would travel through nineteen states and see many things new to us.
Buckle up, and I'll take you along for the ride.

No comments:
Post a Comment