After breakfast we headed to Lake Erie. I had never seen a Great Lake and specifically made sure that we passed one along our way to New England. Chuck suggested looking for a park as opposed to just stopping by the city of Cleveland.
On our way in the distance we saw what appeared to be a nuclear power plant. Sure enough it was actually one owned by Vistra and Chuck ended up calling his old boss to let him know where we were.
We stopped in a small lakeside town, at a place called Waterworks Park. We had more fun walking around and discovered a Little Free Library where Chuck rescued a badly damaged book by Nelson DeMille called The Quest.
I was able to dip my toe in Lake Erie and we enjoyed taking photos of the lighthouse and speaking with one of the locals about the different Great Lakes.
We continued on to Pennsylvania and stopped for gas at a Pilot. We ended up eating some pretty good pizza for lunch there. Who knew? I also bought us some chocolate since we hadn't packed any due to it being able to melt. It turns out I've become a real chocolate snob and was relieved to finally find some Ghirardelli chocolate squares.
We continued on when I saw a sign for Punxsatawney. As you can well imagine, we had no other choice but to exit. How often do you get an opportunity to stop in the town of the famous groundhog, Punxsatawney Phil. We visited the Welcome Center where I purchased a thimble and a little stuffed groundhog. There were large painted groundhogs throughout the town that resembled the famous Buc-ee's statue. I'm so glad we stopped.
We continued down the road and crossed over the Hudson River, another first, to spend the night at the Holiday Inn Express in Poughkeepsie, NY. You can add two more states to our total.
We ate dinner in the room. I'm so glad I brought the Artisian bread, because the sandwiches have been quite tasty.












No comments:
Post a Comment