We actually got to sleep in a little this morning. At breakfast, we spoke with a family from Canada who were heading to NY city for the day. The weather looked oppressive, and I was glad we had not decided to visit the city this time of year.
I tried a new type of tea- Bigelow Rose and Mint. It was quite good, and Chuck snagged three more before we left. We ended up sharing a cup of tea the next day with Janet.
We drove to Hyde Park, NY, to the FDR Presidential Library. The National Park Service runs it and is quite beautiful. Along with the library is Roosevelt’s family home. We had a little snafu with the different time zones and were an hour late to our tour. After that, I abandoned my Fitbit to prevent the same thing from happening again.
We were able to reschedule our tour and had a delicious lunch at the cafe on site. We topped lunch off with some tasty Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars.
Because Chuck is a veteran, we were able to get free admission and a free lifetime National Park pass. We stopped by the gift shop, but sadly they did not have a souvenir thimble. This is becoming a regular occurrence. Chuck got an America 250 t-shirt, and I got a challenge coin and some Eleanor Roosevelt quotes magnets.
Most importantly, though, we were able to add another stamp to our Presidential Library passport. This made the ninth library we have visited. It did not disappoint, and like always, we learned some fascinating history about our country. The campus, alone, was breathtaking as it was built on the Roosevelt homestead.
From Hyde Park, we traveled some winding roads with hairpin turns to get to New Haven, Connecticut, to visit Janet.
I fell in love with Janet’s one hundred-year-old house, and it was decorated to the T. Everything screamed Janet and Herin. We also got to meet their two cats, Rooster and Truman. Sadly, Herin was working in the city, so we didn't get to see her.
We went to dinner at one of Janet’s favorite hangouts in New Haven. The food was yummy, and Chuck and I both brought home leftovers.
We returned home and stayed up well past midnight talking.








No comments:
Post a Comment