Monday, February 13, 2023

Opinion or Not?



Stoic and Roman Emperor, Marcus Aurelius is credited with the following:
“You always own the option of having no opinion.”

Ironically, I’m asking your opinion about not having an opinion. 

With the onset of social media we have opened Pandora’s box when it comes to opinions. Where before we might have kept our opinions to ourselves, today it is so easy to express them to the whole world. 

I’m not so sure having the actual opinion is the problem. We may have little control over that. However, how and when to express that opinion might be the bigger concern. Sometimes our opinion needs to be expressed. 

That being said, it’s kind of like picking your battles. Getting too caught up in reacting to everything that comes across your social media feed can become all encompassing, let alone exhausting. 

I’ve had to limit what I follow on Facebook in order not not let it get out of hand. Sadly, I’ve gotten caught up with political rhetoric, ending up with burned bridges. I’m not proud of that. 
I’m going to reserve the right to not feel the need to always express my opinion. 

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment