Monday, February 6, 2023

Garden Prep

 



Last year Chuck and I attempted a container garden. I started seeds inside so we would be ready to go. However, when the time came to plant everything those plants that I planted straight from a seed did much better. 

We didn’t have much luck with an actual harvest. Our plants grew, but they were not very fruitful. We had planted them too close, and had filled up the bottom of our containers with too much filler instead of dirt. 

This year we are going a different route. Our neighbors have an in ground garden, and last year they shared quite a bit of their bounty with us. We are building our garden pretty close to theirs, but ours will be a lot smaller. 

I’m sure we will grow tomatoes, but we haven’t quite decided on what other vegetables or fruit we will grow. I’d like to try cantaloupe again, and hopefully we can get some larger than a tennis ball. 

I’m thinking zucchini, some jalapeños, and a small amount of okra. Last year we fermented some that we received from our neighbor, and it was really good. 
I’ll take any ideas, and tips that you seasoned gardeners have since Chuck and I are newbies at this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment