Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Mind Reader

 



Are you a mind reader? 

Now I’m not talking about some woman in a turban waving her hands over a crystal ball. Rather being a mind reader is according to Erick Cloward of the podcast Stoic Coffee Break :

“…when we think we know what other people are thinking. We make assumptions of their opinion of us, or what their motivations or intents are without any evidence.”

Sadly, I’m guilty of this when I react or dare I say over react to my perceived mind reading. Instead of taking a breath, and giving myself a moment to process the information fully, I am quick to respond, often negatively. This doesn’t always work out too well.

Why I think I have some superpower to be able to read minds is beyond me. I realize that I should not be so quick to assume I know the motives of others, when in reality I probably don’t. 

What I’m hoping to glean from this knowledge is that I can make a situation worse when I assume I know the heart of another. I want to keep in mind what 1 Corinthians says about how we are to treat others: 

“Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.”

No comments:

Post a Comment