Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Motivation


I’m looking for some advice today about how you stay motivated. 

In reading an article written by motivational expert Glen Reys I came across the following:
“Expecting a task to be enjoyable is one way to learn how to be motivated.”

When I think about how much I enjoy settling down in the evening with my coloring book and colored pencils it makes me realize that I’m never not motivated to color. 

However, getting up off of the couch to walk for thirty minutes is more of a challenge for my cerebral inclinations. 

Reys suggests making the task more fun by asking the following questions:

“How can I enjoy this task?”
(For me listening to a podcast while walking makes it more enjoyable. I used to do this every week day morning pre COVID at the Euless Family Life Center. They had an indoor walking track that I really enjoyed. Walking, listening, and saying hello to other regular walkers made this a great way to start my day.)

“What can I do to make this task fun for myself and others?”
(Chuck and I used to walk together around our neighborhood. I always loved walking beside the lake at our apartment. Stopping to dance a little with my dog Cooper is always fun. He’s a really good dancer!)

“How can I make this task the best part of my day?”
(I know for me getting the opportunity to be outside when the weather cooperates is always one of my favorite things to do. Now that it’s getting cooler I probably should just bundle up and start walking. Maybe listening to some Christmas music- my favorite- will add to to enjoyment.)

Perhaps by answering these questions I can expect the task to be enjoyable. It’s easy to stay motivated when we enjoy what we are doing. 

Let me know how you stay motivated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment