Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The Unaccomplished


The unaccomplished. 

I was minding my own business the other morning fixing coffee and steel-cut oats for breakfast when I was distracted by a headline that came across my Echo Show featuring the all knowing Alexa. 

Apparently there is a teen who can solve a Rubik's Cube using his feet. It was at that moment that I pretty much gave up all hope that I would accomplish anything really impressive in my life. Heck, who could top that Rubik's Cube "feet", get it I really meant feat, but couldn't resist. 

Of course this eating worms in the garden sentiment actually started last week at Barnes and Noble. I made the mistake of picking up the latest People magazine which featured an article about Chip and Joanna. Notice I didn't even have to use their last name, kind of like Oprah or Beyoncé.

Along with Joanna gleefully pushing out her fifth child at forty, yes she actually enjoys labor, they are now getting ready to add another arrow to their quiver with a new television network. Yes, you heard that right, network, not tv show. 

Now I know my attitude stinks because I actually love Chip and Jo, and their sweet family, and their last show, and the Silos, and the bakery, and her magazine, and their line at Target, and their new restaurant. It's just that I stepped away feeling really depressed at my lack of accomplishments. 

Of course, I felt bad for feeling bad. Instead of being inspired I felt like a loser. I can't even say I felt envious. That emotion I'm saving for this Rubik's Cube teen who is on his road to fame. I'd like to say I've gleaned some ounce of wisdom from this whole experience, but unfortunately I'm still in the process of trying to figure it out. 


Maybe I'll just go grab Joanna's cookbook and make a batch of her amazing biscuits that she perfected over a course of nine months of weekend breakfasts, and drown my sorrows in butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment